Thursday 3 November 2011

Suggestions for a Published Campaign Please?

Played session 5 of the Isle of the Earthshaker last night. Had a blast, sphincter jokes galore! All the more appropriate given that the party consisted of three assassins, two fighters, a paladin and no clerics (Euthalia's player had a job interview to prep for and had to cancel). Given that puts us four players down from last session my initial thoughts were that Wednesday's probably aren't that great for my players - but really we were only two down. Glykeria was also a last minute cancellation - on the grounds that we did have a spare camera/voice PC for a Skype connection. So we would have had eight.

Anyway, I'm digressing. As regular readers probably know I like to have a couple of campaigns prepped at any one time, so that I can offer my players a selection whenever it's time for a new campaign. Given that Pendragon is a very dangerous system (and we've come close to a TPK twice now) I've been looking at other options.

Options 1 and 2, a 2nd ed WFRP Campaign or the post-apoc campaign I was working on before the move, is already sorted.  As these are options for the group that consists of myself, my wife and one other couple (with no regular play schedule and which I have limited time to prepare for) both are heavily based on existing campaigns, albiet heavily modified to fit into different settings and rules sytems.

However, my number 3 option would be a Legend of the Five Rings game. Not sure yet if I would run it with D20 or the new 4th edition L5R rules, mind you. But what I need is a suggestion for a published story or plot based campaign that I can easily convert to run in the L5R setting. It can come from any rules system or setting, it just has to be relatively easy to convert.

13 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Sorry I'd love to help, but can't think of anything!!!

Dangerous Brian said...

Thanks anyway Ray :)

Hendrid said...

How about something set round the Beowulf story. Might be interesting converted to the L5R millieu? Just a thought.

Not sure about a published supplement though, need to have a trawl through for that but I'm sure there's one somewhere.

Dangerous Brian said...

That's got some great possibilities. A very intriguing suggestion. Thank's Hendrid.

Alex Osias said...

Howabout the 1st two books of the Lone Wolf series of adventure gamebooks? Surprise attack, invasion, need to escape, warn the king, and spearhead a trek across 'peacetime' territory pursued by assassins and other dangers to secure allies and return to rescue your home?

James said...

I like Alexander's suggestion. :) I have fond memories of the Lone Wolf stuff. The books are also legally available for free:

Project Aon

Ragna said...

What about Fading Suns?

The Angry Lurker said...

Based on a seven samurai setting, battling against the odds?

Dangerous Brian said...

Good suggestions guys, thanks. I'll download those books and take a look. Fading suns is probably worth a look, but I'm looking more for an established campaign plot rather than a setting. Don't think I expressed that very well in the actual post. And I can certainly fit in a Seven Samurai element -perhaps one from each of the Seven Great Clans?
Thanks guys. Great suggestions all.

NakiaPope said...

Don't know how hard it would be to convert, but I enjoy the Adventure Paths for Pathfinder. We're playing The Serpent's Skull right now and it's a lot of fun.

Dangerous Brian said...

I'll take a look Prof, thanks.

thekelvingreen said...

Masks of Nyarlathotep. Lots of conversion work involved, but the underlying plot structure is a great one.

Dangerous Brian said...

THAT is an awesome suggestion. The Lying Darkness could be a very fine stand in for an Elder God.