Wednesday 11 January 2012

Hyborean Roleplaying

About a year ago, some of you (might) remember that I was working on a Hyborean/Conan sandbox setting as one of the "three ready to play campaigns" I keep on hand. At the moment, I have an Oriental Adventures/Call of Cthulu crossover campaign and a Darwin's World/Cascade failure game more or less ready. I had been considering a 40K RPG as my third "good to go" campaign but as I'm already a  player in a WFRP 3rd ed game that options presently on the back burner.

So, I was thinking, why not finish my Conan Sandbox?

One problem? What system to use? Do I stick with OSRIC,? Do I use D20 Conan (I'd rather not), the old TSR Conan rules? Right now I'm leaning towards a game of OSRIC (possibly with magic-using classes removed or "disguised" in some way) with a version of the Carcossa rules on Sorcery.

However, a while back I remember something about a Conan-esque OSR game being in development. [link] Looks like I missed the kickstart project by a whole week, but the good news is that:

ATONISHING SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS OF HYPERBOREA

should be out by March (but as target release dates have a habit to crawl, I'd say look for it around June). The first adventure has already been released. It's not actually set in Conan's world, but it seems to have that same feel to it. Hmmm. Perhaps I should look it up.

In related news: the first Earthshaker Game of 2012 is tonight and we should have a round dozen players bellying up at the table. Also, I haven't forgotten Oriental OSRIC. More on that to come. I have been a bit distracted lately by taking on a few too many writing and painting projects (many of which are running to deadlines) but updates are on the way.

8 comments:

Greyhawk Knight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mecha Ace said...

I can point you in the direction of some good Savage worlds books that are good for Conan-esque gaming

Lobo said...

Conan is the only one that can kick even Chuck Norris' a$$.

The Angry Lurker said...

Looking forward to progress and game reports.....

Dangerous Brian said...

Thanks Mecha. You're encyclopedic knowledge of Savage Worlds blows me away sometimes (Mecha is the DM of the WFRP game we play in).

@Lobo very true. Wonder how they compare on the issue of gay marriage?

@ Angry: Might be a while before there are any game reports. After we finish the WFRP arc the group will be able to chose which game they fancy most: Cthulu OA, Post-Apocalypse Cascade Failure or Conan.

Lancere said...

Barbarians of Lemuria - does S&S better and faster than all the others. It'll do Hyborian Age adventures effortlessly.

Dangerous Brian said...

Cheers Lancere. I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP.
WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM 
WHATS APP: +2347012841542

I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.